City Gas has a long heritage of over 150 years. Our history can be traced back as early as 1861, where we started as the Singapore Gas Company, a public lighting company to provide gas lighting for the growing nation.
In the same year, we set up the first coal-fired gasworks in Kallang, manufacturing piped town gas and marketing it as a common fuel for cooking, heating and drying applications in homes and commercial premises. The company grew steadily over the years as it powered Singapore and its people with a safe and reliable supply of town gas.
From the early 1950s, we started supplying town gas to HDB flats, private condominiums, landed properties as well as to commercial and industrial customers. The company also underwent several name changes – the City Council of Singapore (before 1965), the Public Utilities Board (from 1965 – 1994) and PowerGas Ltd (from 1995 -2001).
In January 2002, City Gas was formed as a divested entity from PowerGas Ltd to carry on the business as a piped town gas producer and retailer. Today, we are a fully owned subsidiary of Keppel Infrastructure Trust (previously known as CitySpring Infrastructure Trust).
We were founded as the Singapore Gas Company.
Kallang Gasworks was built to produce piped town gas.
The Singapore Municipal Commissioners took over the operations of the Singapore Gas Company to extend the gas supply network to street lighting. By 1940, the gas pipe network had been rapidly expanded though gas was used more for cooking and heating water than for lighting.
We became part of the Public Utilities Board, and oil gasification plants were replaced by naphtha gas-making plants.
The Electricity and Gas Departments of the Public Utilities Board were corporatised to form Singapore Power.
Senoko Gasworks that will replace the production in Kallang officially opened – a S$240 million facility with a production capacity of 1.6 million cubic metres of gas per day.
Kallang Gasworks officially ceased operations in March 1998. All gas operations were officially moved to Senoko Gasworks, which is still producing town gas to date.
City Gas Pte Ltd was formed as a divested entity from PowerGas Ltd on 2 January 2002.
Natural gas from South Sumatra, Indonesia, began being piped to Singapore. The natural gas was also used as partial feedstock to produce town gas.
We achieved our 500,000th customer milestone.
City Gas Trust was constituted as a private trust on 5 January 2007, and a wholly owned subsidiary of CitySpring Infrastructure Trust.
We achieved our 600,000th customer milestone.
City Gas celebrated our 150th anniversary. We had a year-long celebration and planted a time capsule at the production building lobby.
We achieved our 700,000th customer milestone.
CitySpring Infrastructure Trust was enlarged on 18 May 2015, and renamed as Keppel Infrastructure Trust.
We achieved our 800,000th customer milestone.